Position Title: Research Editor, Dow Jones Adverse Media - Entities, Risk & Compliance
Reports To: Manager, Dow Jones Adverse Media – Entities, Barcelona
When you join Dow Jones you become part of one of the most dynamic news and information companies in the world. This position is part of DJ’s Data Strategy Group, which collects and integrates proprietary data and third-party licensed content, processing more than 500,000 articles a day from more than 35,000 news and business sources in 26 languages. Data Strategy also provides equity exchange data from 43 countries and creates content on markets, companies and people to help users identify business opportunities and manage risk.
The Research Editor will be part of the Risk and Compliance team, a division of Data Strategy. The Dow Jones Risk and Compliance business provides a comprehensive response to financial regulations by offering global, accurate, up-to-date information on people and companies - enabling customers to meet regulatory guidelines, perform enhanced due diligence, control money laundering and illicit payments, and manage risk across their business.
The role of the Research Editor is to research, record and update details on companies with adverse media in countries around the world. These details are required for the Dow Jones Adverse Media - Entities (AME) database, a global reference database of companies that have had negative news in the media.
The Research Editor is required to use a range of relevant electronic published sources for each country he/she is researching, including a range of sources carried on Dow Jones’s own products and on government/regulatory and company websites.
In extracting data from these sources, the Research Editor must adhere to a set of guidelines on Adverse Media selection and the level of corporate details required. The Research Editor is expected to deliver the most comprehensive coverage possible while taking care to exclude detail outside the brief.
The Research Editor is also responsible for verifying the accuracy of the material he/she and other team members are adding to the database and must follow an established set of procedures to do so.
The role of the Research Editor is also to keep the AME Database up to date by continual scanning and extraction from known information sources and by on-going monitoring for new sources.
• Use a range of relevant electronic published sources for each country he/she is researching, including company and government websites and sources carried on Dow Jones’s own products.
• Extract data from the abovementioned sources, and adhere to a set of guidelines on AME selection and the level of corporate details required.
• Deliver the most comprehensive coverage possible of companies with adverse media while taking care to exclude detail outside the brief.
• Verify the accuracy of the material he/she and other team members are adding to the database and follow an established set of procedures to do so.
• Keep the AME Database up to date by continual scanning and extraction from known information sources and by on-going monitoring for new sources.
• Respond quickly, accurately and thoroughly to customer queries.
• Ability to identify wholly with Dow Jones’s service obligations to its Clients
• Research and/or editorial knowledge
• Fluency in English and Portuguese – other languages a plus.
• Web searching skills; tenacity and ingenuity in the pursuit of sources
• Education to Bachelor’s degree level
• Excellent proofreading skills and organisational skills
• Keyboard skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office
• Ability to handle large volumes of information
• Ability to work to deadlines
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to accept feedback as a learning opportunity
• Ability to build and maintain good working relationships
• Positive outlook on change, self motivated, flexible and adaptable to work outside a traditional office environment
Please note only successful candidates will be contacted.